Monday, April 7, 2014

Micromanagement

Everybody knows something useful about something. And, usually, sharing that knowledge can be incredibly valuable, in most any context, be it business or personal.

The problem comes when that "sharing" of knowledge becomes a mandate: "I only want you to to it this way, because this way is the way that I know how to do it." Not necessarily the worst case scenario, especially if the mandate is actually based in real-world experience.

But what do you do when someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about issues a similar mandate? You know, "I only want you to to it this way, because this way is the way that I heard it should be done."

Ever run in to one of those folks? Of course you have!

Working with a micro-manager can be a real challenge. Usually, a calm and deliberate campaign of "teaching" exercises can be very helpful... using trusted, verifiable sources to advance your case.  Sometimes, however, you just can't make your case, no matter how much data you bring to the party. In situations like that, what do you do? Do you hold your ground? Do you back down? I've done both, depending on the specific situation.

There doesn't appear to be a universally "correct" answer, but I'll say this: For me, at least, life's way too short to work with a micro-manager!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites